Objectives and expected results
The global objective of the project is to provide an innovative dark polymer sorting process which will increase the recycling rate, in particular for WEEE polymers.
The results expected from the project are as follows:
- To develop a new procedure for sorting polymers (dark and clear)
- To carry out and validate a pilot program integrating this process on an industrial scale
- To offer a process which permits the input of varied large pieces of plastic for future processing of other streams (furniture, WEEE pro, parts from ELV, etc.)
- To produce a secondary raw material (shredded or granulated) of high quality (purity > 97%)
- To achieve a production rate of 1T/h
- To increase the recycling rate at the end of the project life cycle by 10 to 20%
- To retain within Europe the added value associated with WEEE screen polymers
- To reduce the environmental impact by promoting mechanical recycling (sorting vs landfill, incineration)
- To respond to the issues raised by the European Directives and WEEELABEX pertaining to the sorting of plastics and removal of Brominated Flame Retardants (BFR).